- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Good quality balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Baby spinach
- Sliced mushrooms (sautéed in butter)
- 1 clementine, peeled and sectioned
- Feta cheese
- Pumpkin seeds
- 2-4 sweet yellow or white onions cut in half and sliced thin (for caramelized onions)
- Coconut oil, ghee, or butter (for caramelized onions)
Mix together equal amounts of extra-virgin olive oil and a good balsamic vinegar. Add a healthy dose of fresh ground black pepper.
Mix in the following:
sliced mushrooms (I like to cook them ahead of time in butter)
caramelized onions (if time to—it takes about 30-45 minutes for onions to caramelize—see below).
Allow to sit for about 15 minutes and flavors to “marry”.
How to caramelize onions:
Coat a large iron skillet with coconut oil, ghee, or butter and heat.
Add the sliced onions and cook over medium-high heat stirring about every 8-10 minutes. If the onions start to burn add more butter or oil. Cook until onions are a dark rich brown color. Remove the onions add 3-4 tbsp white wine or water to the skillet and scrape up the dark brown glaze. Pour deglaze over onions.
You can find high-quality, extra-virgin olive oil here.
Try natural & additive-free white wine here.