- 1-2 cups Tomato Sauce, a delicious, easy homemade tomato sauce recipe is below.
- 3 zucchinis thinly sliced lengthwise
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 tub of fresh ricotta
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Mozzarella or Provolone, shredded
- Pecorino or Parmesan, shredded
- 1-2 TBSP dried oregano
- Cilantro or Basil
- fresh ground black pepper
Mix together ingredients for cheese filling.
Put a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of roasting dish.
Take a zucchini slice, spread a layer of cheese on it, roll it up and place it seam side down in the layer of tomato sauce. Continue til the cheese mixture is used up.
Top with remaining sauce, sprinkle pecorino or parmesan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and add mozzarella/provolone and bake til melted, about 5-10 minutes more.
For the SAUCE:
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 (or more) cloves garlic, crushed and then sliced thinly
- 1 TBSP or more fresh oregano (dried is ok too)
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Roma tomatoes – blanched and skins slipped off
Saute’ onion and garlic in EVOO add oregano and basil. Add chopped roma tomatoes and let simmer.